Conservation Area: Planning Permission


For information about planning applications, Stratford District Council are our local authority, please click on this link to be taken to their page for detailed information.

Shotteswell is a Conservation Area and so certain conditions apply see link for details

Conservation Areas

The Conservation area of Shotteswell

Application Forms for planning permission:

Tree Applications:

Certain rules apply for trees in a Conservation Area, please see this link for details.

For your convenience click link for tree application form

For all other application forms please click here

If you prefer to apply online please click here

What is a Conservation Area?

Local authorities have the responsibility to designate Conservation Areas, defined as:
‘an area of special architectural or historic interest, the character and appearance of which it is desirable to preserve or enhance.’ – Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) Act 1990.

If you live, work or own property in a Conservation Area, certain responsibilities are placed on both you and the District Council to preserve or enhance that special character and appearance;

  • In many cases, you must apply for permission to extend or demolish a part of your property.
  • Proposals for new development, signs and advertisements will need to be sensitive to their surroundings.
  • You must notify the District Council if you wish to undertake pruning works or fell a tree.

Conservation Areas normally contain a large number of listed buildings. These are either individual buildings or building groups that are of special architectural or historic interest. If you own, or live near to a listed building, you should be aware that these are subject to their own special legal protection.

How many Conservation Areas are there in the district?

The Stratford-on-Avon District currently contains 75 designated conservation areas, all of which have been reviewed since 1990. Twenty-one of these review documents have been published as booklets and a further 29 as broadsheets (a free interim document in leaflet form summarising the findings of the review). For a list of the publications available please click on the link on the right. THe individual broadsheets are available on the following pages in alphabetical order. Links to these can be found on the left or at the bottom of this page.

Planning Applications

  • You can submit applications for permission or consent online via the national Planning Portal; or
  • download the relevant national standard 1APP forms.

My property isn’t listed: Do special planning controls affect me?

Before you start any work on your property, it is advisable to see if you need any type of permission as extra planning controls apply in Conservation areas. Contact Planning on01789 260304, or by emailing

You may need Planning Permission and Building Regulations Approval for some alterations and extensions and also Conservation Area Consent if you want to carry out demolition work.

Other examples that may require permission are: to clad exterior walls with stone, timber, plastic etc., to erect satellite dishes on walls, roofs or chimneys fronting the highway and to undertake roof alterations (including dormer windows).

It is often the details on a building, particularly its windows, which give it its character. Although you do not need planning permission to replace windows or doors on an unlisted building in a Conservation Area, you should make sure that your alterations are in keeping with the character of the building and the area. Unsympathetic changes may spoil the appearance of the historic scene and devalue your property.

Works, usually excavation works, in certain Conservation Areas may also have archaeological implications. Warwickshire County Museumwill be able to tell you whether Scheduled Monument Consent is required.

I want to demolish my unlisted property (or part of it): Do I need any special permission?

The character of a Conservation Area is often defined by buildings, both listed and unlisted, that together form an important group. For this reason Conservation Area Consent is required in many cases should you want to demolish all or a significant part of any building within the conservation area. This can include the demolition of outbuildings, walls, fences, railing or gates and in some circumstances, the demolition of part of a building.

For advice on specific cases or if you wish to undertake partial demolition, you should confirm the current legal position to determine whether Conservation Area Consent is required, by contacting Planning on 01789 260360, or by emailing

How do I ensure that my new development proposals enhance the Conservation Area?

Conservation Area status allows for change as well as preservation. Modern buildings are not necessarily out of place in Conservation Areas. They must be well designed, sympathetic to their surroundings, use appropriate materials and incorporate sympathetic hard and soft landscape treatments.

It is the District Council’s responsibility to pay special attention to the character and appearance of the Conservation Area when considering planning applications for new development. Fully detailed plans should be submitted. New development must respect its historic context in volume, height, scale, form and quality and submitted drawings must demonstrate that it will. Street elevations and perspective drawings showing the context are particularly helpful. Texture, colour and materials should also be carefully considered.

The award-winning Stratford District Design Guide is a valuable reference tool in this instance and is available from Reception at a cost of £18.00.

My property is listed: How do conservation area controls affect me?

Conservation Area designation does not convey any additional controls. Listed buildings have their own strict legal safeguards. Any change to the fabric of the building (both outside and inside) to a listed building require special permission known as Listed Building Consent. This also applies to structures within the curtilage, including outbuildings, garden walls, gates or railings. No fee is charged for these applications.

Please see our section on Listed Buildings for further guidance or contact Conservation on 01789 260304.

You may also require Planning Permission in conjunction with Listed Building Consent for demolition or an extension to the property.

Please note that it is a criminal offence to undertake unauthorised works to a Listed structure.

What about trees and hedges: Do special controls apply?

Trees in Conservation Areas have special protection because of the contribution they make to the character and setting of the area. Tree surgery work on any species of tree, including fruit trees, from simple pruning to crown reduction, thinning or felling, should not proceed unless you have given six weeks’ prior notice using the notification form Trees in a Conservation Area.

Permission may also be required to remove a hedge or significantly reduce its height, if it has not been regularly maintained.

Trees in conservation areas already protected by a Tree Preservation Order (TPO) are, of course, subject to the normal TPO controls.

Please note that you do not normally need permission to cut down or do work to trees that are less than 75mm in diameter (measured 1.5m above ground). Shrub species are also exempt.

Further advice is available in the Trees section of the website as well as the relevant application forms.

I need to advertise my business: What signs can I display?

Conservation Areas sometimes cover commercial areas of particular architectural quality and historic interest at the heart of a town or village. All commercial traders need to advertise their business, but signs need to fit the design of the shop front or building as a whole. Design, size, position, quality of materials and illumination should contribute to, rather than detract from, the street scene. Internally illuminated box signs and plastic blinds will nearly always be unsuitable. Many advertisements in conservation areas will require Advertising Consent to be displayed.

Further guidance is to be found in the award winning Stratford District Design Guide, available from Reception at a cost of £18.00.

For further information please contact the Heritage and Design Team on 01789 260304 or by email at, or by fax on 01789 260330.